Subject: Newbie pb... and solution, and some questions and hints.
From: [email-masked] (Francois Felix Ingrand)

9 Feb 1998 01:10:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

First of all, I want to thank the people who wrote gnu-win32... I discovered
this package last week, and I was able to port a 90000 lines of code Unix pgrm
over the WE, great package.

Now I still have some pbs and hints to share:

- first, can somebody clarify this text!=binary versus text=binary
issue. Coolview says you should use the later. Fine with me, but what is the
reason behind all this. I understand this is related to ^M at the end of line
with text file, but still, how can that be such a pb? Moreover, after making
the mount text=binary, my Makefile would not work anymore, I had to ran gsar -o
-du on it. Do I have to run gsar on the whole filesystem?

- I compiled Perl 5 yesterday (could not grab the binary from Russia), and it
looks like dot "." must be in the PATH, or part of the configure and make
fails.

- Using NTEmacs, I ran in the pb with ^M at the of the bash input line. This
does not seem to be a text!=binary issue. I found a bash lisp function in the
archive which works fine.

- anybody using cvs? does it work with text=binary? I used it first to grab my
pgrm from my cvsserver... but at that time the mount was text!=binary... now
that I have changed it... will it still work?

- I installed MiX and the X11R6 libs... I have seen Lesstif mentioned here and
there in the archive, but no definitive proof of a successfull port. Has it
been ported? 

About the pb I reported on saturday....
Francois Felix Ingrand writes:
>
>Just started to compile my apps under cigwin32 and ran in a pb which I cannot
>understand. Even under GDB, the pgrm seem to break before starting
>(i.e. executing main)...
>
>Can somebody help me on this? thanks in advance.
>
>bash$ ./mp-prs
>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) In cygwin_except_handler
>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) Exception trapped!
>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception C0000005 at 404351
>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception: ax 0 bx 0 cx 241EA4D dx 241EB91
>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception: si 5 di 1000B8B3 bp 241F510 sp 241EB6C
>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>(f:\prs\src\mp-prs.exe 1654) Stack trace:

I was wrong... the pgrm was not breaking before the main. Using Gdb I found the
culprid function...

--
			Felix
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".