Subject: Re: bash questions
From: [email-masked] (raf)

8 Feb 1998 18:07:06 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

>> I installed gnu-win32 simply to run some csh scripts that I had on a
>> Solaris box. In the process of converting this script to bash I have
>> encountered the following problems...

>Bash is not the right tool for executing csh scripts.  Bash is MUCH
>more like Bourne shell (sh) than C-Shell.  Bash even has a
>Bourne-shell mode (use the -posix invocation arg, which basically
>takes away some of the behaviors that only bash offers, but not all of
>them, unfortunately) but it has no C-Shell mode.  Your problems are
>mostly because your csh scripts are just basically incompatible with
>Bourne sh, so they're also incompatible with bash.  You need a csh,
>unless you want to rewrite the scripts in a more Bourne-like fashion.

>Gnu does have a csh interpreter, but I don't know whether it's
>available under NT.  I suspect not; I don't have one, anyway.  And csh
>is kind of lame, compared to bash, which is kind of magnificent.  It's
>awful to switch from csh to bash, but you'll never go back, that's for
>sure.

didn't sergey or someone port tcsh?

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".