Subject: VERY basic questions
From: [email-masked] (Chrissy)

8 Feb 1998 17:56:31 -0800
Message-ID: <3.0.32.19980208173352.007dbd90.cygnus.gnu-win32@mail>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

I have a little bit of linux experience (shells for 3 years and have had
linux on my home systems) My roomate compiled linux on my machine, and i
watched, but didnt really participate. I love windows (95) and here i am..
I'm just a bit confused about some things. 

1.) I have been to the FAQ a few times, but i believe that my lack of deep
experience with linux leaves me hanging. I have installed both cdk.exe and
usertools.exe. ALot of the directories that some pages refer to were not
installed with the inital setup of cdk or usertools. My question is: Do i
need a source code in order to run cygwin?

2.) I want the cygwin mainly for a telnetd (and maybe eggdrop, but that
isnt at the top of the list) . I'm running out of harddrive space and would
like to use as little of components as i can. what are the BASIC needed
things for telnetd? So far, i have cdk.exe, remote.tar.gz, and cooltools. I
extracted them into a directory (i randomly chose one) and of course, I'm
having no luck. I do not know exactly how the directory setup is supposed
to be. this is how i have mine.

Servers->
Unix->
H-i386-cygwin32 include info man share tcl
and so on

Under the H-i386 link, i have a FEW bins. I just feel so unorganized. What
is going on? Where is the dir structure here? I installed X11r6.3 under
Unix\H-i386-cygwin32\usr\X11r6.3 ... is that correct?

I am used to my regular linux being able to execute anything is
usr/local/bin .. but with this program, unless i am in the dir with the
..exe, i cannot run it. Also, is this all run from the dos prompt? or the
bash prompt?

I installed both X11r6.3 and mi/x but i cant seem to link them. i run the X
server but it just gives me a screen with no options.. I have read thru
FAQs but get really overwhelmed and confused.. can anyone simplify this for
me? It would be totally appreciated. I have been keeping up with the list
at cygnus.com so in case this letter /responses dont show up, could you
reply to [email-masked] as well? thanks!

chrissy

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".