Subject: Re: telnetd
From: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)

8 Feb 1998 05:55:54 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <3.0.32.19980208042509.008a53c0@mail>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked] (Chrissy)
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Chrissy,

> i was looking thru the cygwin archive and some of your letters intrested
> me. I have a few questions, would you be able to help me with them?
> I have windows 95, p5166, 64 megs.. I just downloaded the cygwin mainly to
> have a cool telnetD and eggdrop compiler for my silly server. here are a
> few of my questions.
> 
> 1.) Seems that i cannot find X11R6.3  would you know where it is?

http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.3

> 2.) my tar files from that surgio guy (remote and cooltools) dont work, it
> says "Doesnt seem like a tar file"

Make sure you did the ftp in binary mode.

> 3.) i installed cdk.exe.. that left me with no /usr or /local or anything
> like that.. what am i missing?

Consult the FAQ:

       http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/faq_toc.html

in particular the section "Release Notes for beta 18".

> 4.) i saw you talk about mi/x. how did you implement it and is it better
> than x11r6.3

See the X11R6.3 URL above.

> and one last silly question:
> what is the name of the exe that actually gets the deal up and going? is it
> bash.exe?

bash.exe is the executable for the bash shell; there are many others
execuatbles such as gcc.exe, cp.exe, ls.exe to name a few. You need 
to read the available documentation. Start from

       http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/

  Good Luck,

-- 
Arlindo da Silva    
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".