Subject: shells under mingw [Re: Cygwin32 Newbie (NBY)]
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

7 Feb 1998 16:27:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

"Bartlee A. Anderson" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> YES! Who out there is smart and kind enough to bash bash into compiling
> with mingw32. I know I would be at it for a looooooong time. Anyone
> smarter up to it?
> I just don't want to have to cross compile from cygwin to mingw ;)

Being kind nor smart is going to make bash run under mingw32 w/out a
severe rewrite and/or dumbing down. The only reasonable way to do it 
is to provide a POSIX emulation layer on top Win32 API. But wait!
That's what cygwin32 (and OpenNT and UWIN and ...) does.

Not all is lost however; ASH for example does work somewhat with a few
tweaks. I hacked on it a bit, and so has Pedro A. Aranda Guti\irrez
(sorry Pedro -- I just haven't had any time to look at this stuff in
the last few weeks!). One of these days I'll break it out and give it
another whirl to make it more usable.

Mumit
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".