Subject: Re: bash questions
From: [email-masked] (Steven R. Newcomb)

7 Feb 1998 13:41:18 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

> I installed gnu-win32 simply to run some csh scripts that I had on a
> Solaris box. In the process of converting this script to bash I have
> encountered the following problems...

Bash is not the right tool for executing csh scripts.  Bash is MUCH
more like Bourne shell (sh) than C-Shell.  Bash even has a
Bourne-shell mode (use the -posix invocation arg, which basically
takes away some of the behaviors that only bash offers, but not all of
them, unfortunately) but it has no C-Shell mode.  Your problems are
mostly because your csh scripts are just basically incompatible with
Bourne sh, so they're also incompatible with bash.  You need a csh,
unless you want to rewrite the scripts in a more Bourne-like fashion.

Gnu does have a csh interpreter, but I don't know whether it's
available under NT.  I suspect not; I don't have one, anyway.  And csh
is kind of lame, compared to bash, which is kind of magnificent.  It's
awful to switch from csh to bash, but you'll never go back, that's for
sure.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, President, TechnoTeacher, Inc.
[email-masked]  http://www.techno.com  ftp.techno.com

voice: +1 972 231 4098 (at ISOGEN: +1 214 953 0004 x137)
fax    +1 972 994 0087 (at ISOGEN: +1 214 953 3152)

3615 Tanner Lane
Richardson, Texas 75082-2618 USA
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".