Subject: Re: Beta-19 and configurations....
From: [email-masked] (John Kubiatowicz)

6 Feb 1998 02:02:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

   Hi John,

   Most, if not all of the coolview changes will be included in the next 
   release.  I can't speak to the text=binary; but only to say, that since 
   it is a requirement with the coolview that it will be the default setup 
   mode in B19.  

Glad to hear it.

   I prefer setting up my own filesystem directories.  So setting up 
   default ones doesn't really appeal to me.

This is why I requested that this be an installation option.  As it is,
there are *way* too many things that have to be properly configured to
get things working (like /dev/null is not even configured by default).
I love to hack, but unfortunately, I just need to get work done these
days... 

   As for utilities, if you check the project page you will understand why 
   they are not included.  However, I must admit that it would be nice to 
   have executable binaries for man, info and less; but that would also 
   require having binaries for termcap and/or ncurses.  I would rather 
   Cygnus spend it's time working on gcc and binary tools then I can just 
   port the others.

Sigh.  Again, to get a sufficiently functioning system, I have been
forced to back gnuwin32 with U/WIN, since this is a "complete" release
of unix tools.  I would much rather have a complete release from
gnuwin...

--KUBI--
Professor John Kubiatowicz
Computer Science Division
UC Berkeley

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".