Subject: Re: Beta-19 and configurations....
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

5 Feb 1998 14:01:25 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi John,

Most, if not all of the coolview changes will be included in the next 
release.  I can't speak to the text=binary; but only to say, that since 
it is a requirement with the coolview that it will be the default setup 
mode in B19.  

I prefer setting up my own filesystem directories.  So setting up 
default ones doesn't really appeal to me.

As for utilities, if you check the project page you will understand why 
they are not included.  However, I must admit that it would be nice to 
have executable binaries for man, info and less; but that would also 
require having binaries for termcap and/or ncurses.  I would rather 
Cygnus spend it's time working on gcc and binary tools then I can just 
port the others.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)

>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:09:36 -0800 (PST)
>From: John Kubiatowicz <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Beta-19 and configurations....
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>
>Howdy.  I use gnu-win32 and love it, as far as it goes.
>
>However, if Beta-19 is around the corner, could I request the 
following,
>which I would consider *really* useful:
>
>	Could you update the installation process to set up a
>	complete generic directory structure ala the "setup help"
>	links from Sergey?  In particular, he seems to mention a
>	lot of things in /usr/local/bin, etc, which are not set up
>	by default.  He also mounts filesystems as binary, etc.
>
>	My ideal would be for the setup process to configure a
>	complete "coolview" like machine if requested (this would
>	be an option, including the option to install over/modify
>	anything that was there before).
>
>I must admit the the set of things required to get properly set up is
>rather large and this seems like knowledge that should be coded in the
>installation wizzard for new users.  I still haven't found the time to
>work through all of the suggestions out there for configuration, simply
>because my time is really tight.
>
>Note that the ability to change things to be any way someone might want
>is great, but this assumes a reasonable starting point.
>
>I also put in a strong plug for including:
>
>	1) A working version of man
>	2) The remote network set that Sergey put together, including
>	   SSH/SSHD.  
>	3) less and tcsh
>	4) Whatever other tools can be included.
>
>I must admit that I have to currently use the AT+T UWIN in addition to
>GNUWIN to have a useful working environment... 
>
>--KUBI--
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".