Subject: Re: Time and motion studies of gcc and egcs and LCC
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

5 Feb 1998 10:23:54 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]

>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 14:12:43 -0500 (EST)
>From: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Time and motion studies of gcc and egcs and LCC
>
>In gnu-win32 [email-masked] (Samuel James Liddicott) writes:
>
>>I read that in win95 the pages are flushed in order of 
first-in-first-out,
>>and if a flushed page is a commonly used page, it will just be 
first-in
>>again a bit quicker, and all this to save on the overheads of working 
out
>>which pages are least used.
>
>>I was shocked when I read it too, but imagine the overheads of doing 
page
>>usage sorting every time you need to load a new page?  MS seemed to 
think
>>little was gained.
>
>There are several other approaches.  One technique is to have a daemon
>which periodically marks pages as unreadable and unwritable.  When
>there is an exception on the page, the protection is removed, and the
>page is moved to the end of usage list.  This way the pages are very
>roughly sorted by usage when it comes time to discard a page.
>
>Discarding pages in strict FIFO order seems to me like a recipe for
>thrashing.

Now I know why my disk drive goes crazy when I exit a program and 
something else takes the active window.  Thrash, thrash, thrash ...

>
>Ian
>-

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)
http://rcw.home.ml.org/                  (Rob Warner - software ports)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".