Subject: Re: Win32 Apps?
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

5 Feb 1998 03:00:23 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Colin Peters" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Keet / Foxbird" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "GNU-Win32" <[email-masked]>

From: Keet / Foxbird <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, February 05, 1998 3:18 PM

>Does anyone out there have any idea what's causing this?
>
>//D/CygWin/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe: warning: cannot
>find entry symbol _WinMainCRTStartup; defaulting to 00401000
>
>I took a hello world program from a VC++ I've got and compiled it with
GCC
>using the options -luser32 -lgdi32 -Wl,--subsystem,windows  to remove the
>dos box, and I got this warning. The program executes fine, but I'm
trying
>to ciphen out all of the warnings and such from some of my code. I've
seen
>mentions to removing the dos box, and compiling win32 apps under GCC, but
I
>never saw mention as to what this means. Can anyone help me? (Hello.cpp
>file is at the end)

The problem is that there is only one entry point in the Cygnus supplied
startup code (crt0.o) and it is called _mainCRTStartup (IIRC). Luckily
this function is located at address 401000, so code that gives the above
warning will generally work. The linker changed between b17 and b18 to
start looking for a _WinMainCRTStartup entry point instead of
_mainCRTStartup if the subsystem was set to "windows" (no console window),
but the startup code was not modified to deal with this change. As I said,
in general this error is harmless and there is nothing you can really do
about it unless you want to rebuild the crt0.o startup file (which isn't
really that hard if you have the source). Hopefully it will go away with
b19.

Colin.

-- Colin Peters -- colin at fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".