Subject: Re: Problem with `window manager already running' X-windows error
From: [email-masked] (Zadok)

5 Feb 1998 00:55:39 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Arlindo da Silva <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

>

Hi there !

>  Starnet's x-win32 and other high-end commercial X servers are
> in this category. Therefore, if you try to run "fvwm" with these
> X-servers you
> get the `window manager already running' because indeed MS Windows is
> the
> window manager already in charge. In any event, you should check the
> documentation that came with your X server.
>

that's only partially true, ( I use XWin32 ) and with its configuration
program ( called Xutil.exe ) one is able to choose between 2 modes of
operation: "virtual root" and "normal". normal just uses windows as wm
but virtual root provides just a window inside which any UN*X wm may
run.

I hope this helps
Michael

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".