Subject: Beta-19 and configurations....
From: [email-masked] (John Kubiatowicz)

5 Feb 1998 00:55:36 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Howdy.  I use gnu-win32 and love it, as far as it goes.

However, if Beta-19 is around the corner, could I request the following,
which I would consider *really* useful:

	Could you update the installation process to set up a
	complete generic directory structure ala the "setup help"
	links from Sergey?  In particular, he seems to mention a
	lot of things in /usr/local/bin, etc, which are not set up
	by default.  He also mounts filesystems as binary, etc.

	My ideal would be for the setup process to configure a
	complete "coolview" like machine if requested (this would
	be an option, including the option to install over/modify
	anything that was there before).

I must admit the the set of things required to get properly set up is
rather large and this seems like knowledge that should be coded in the
installation wizzard for new users.  I still haven't found the time to
work through all of the suggestions out there for configuration, simply
because my time is really tight.

Note that the ability to change things to be any way someone might want
is great, but this assumes a reasonable starting point.

I also put in a strong plug for including:

	1) A working version of man
	2) The remote network set that Sergey put together, including
	   SSH/SSHD.  
	3) less and tcsh
	4) Whatever other tools can be included.

I must admit that I have to currently use the AT+T UWIN in addition to
GNUWIN to have a useful working environment... 

--KUBI--

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".