Subject: Re: Problem with `window manager already running' X-windows error
From: [email-masked] (raf)

4 Feb 1998 18:22:57 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

>Someone recently posted to this conference about starting up X-windows
>and getting a `window manager already running' message when fvwm was
>supposed to come up.

>I think that is the result of optimism and not buying books on how to
>run X-windows.  Somewhere in the /var/... directory of Linux is the
>xinitrc file that is a bash script for starting X-windows when startx
>is called.  I imagine that c:\var\.... is similarly burdened when X-
>windows/cygwin runs under Windows 95/NT.  There is a very good chance
>that the person who posted the problem actually _does_ have another
>window manager running, and checking the xinitrc script will verify
>this.  Editing the script to delete the other window manager in favor
>of fvwm (or better, fvwm95-2) will remedy the problem.

don't forget that the microsoft shell counts as a 'window manager'
at least as far as hummingbird's x server (exceed) is concerned.
you have to tell exceed to only use the native window manager as the
default. this makes exceed allow another window manager to be started
as a replacement. if, however, exceed has been told just to use the
native window manager, the aforementioned error message will appear
if you try to start another window manager.

don't know about any other x servers.

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".