Subject: Re: Problem with `window manager already running' X-windows error
From: [email-masked]

4 Feb 1998 17:15:12 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: [email-masked]

On Wed, Feb 04, 1998 at 08:40:36AM +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
> Someone recently posted to this conference about starting up X-windows
> and getting a `window manager already running' message when fvwm was
> supposed to come up.

That's because most X-servers for Windows come with a built-in WM, usually
a twm-clone, which needs to be disable.  Then they need to edit their 
local xinitrc, or whatever starts the Xserver locally, and start their
WM of choice, which in this case seems to be fvwm95-2.

> I think that is the result of optimism and not buying books on how to
> run X-windows. Somewhere in the /var/... directory of Linux is the
> xinitrc file that is a bash script for starting X-windows when startx
> is called.  I imagine that c:\var\.... is similarly burdened when X-
> windows/cygwin runs under Windows 95/NT.  There is a very good chance
> that the person who posted the problem actually _does_ have another
> window manager running, and checking the xinitrc script will verify
> this.  Editing the script to delete the other window manager in favor
> of fvwm (or better, fvwm95-2) will remedy the problem.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".