Subject: coolview: telnetd/login troubles
From: [email-masked] (Geoff Hart)

4 Feb 1998 16:44:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

I've been wrestling with telnetd for a few days now, but I hit a wall
I just can't get through.  I can't get "login" to work properly.  It
won't recognize my passwd.  Everything else seems to be working properly
(indeed, when I switch over to the telnetd/inetd supplied by Exceed -
a commercial telnetd - I can login normally; so it appears something
specific to how I installed the coolview/remote package).

Here's all I see:

10:53:49./users/default> cat /etc/passwd
Administrator::1003:513:::/bin/sh
ghart::500:513:::/bin/sh
Guest::501:513:::/bin/sh
IUSR_GHART::1000:513:Internet Guest Account::/bin/sh
IWAM_GHART::1001:513:Web Application Manager account::/bin/sh
spsy::1002:513:Spectrum 5.X user://c/home/s:/bin/sh
10:56:59./users/default> echo "admin"|login Administrator
Password:
Login incorrect
login: 10:57:22./users/default> login
login: Administrator
Password:
Login incorrect
login:

thanks for any hints at what I did wrong (I read through all the posts about
this,
and I tried to follow Sergei's instructions for "User Rights", but I'm still
stuck).

Geoff
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".