Subject: tar (four questions)
From: [email-masked] (Jon Byron Davis)

4 Feb 1998 15:30:50 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnuwin32 <[email-masked]>

A few questions about tar:

a) I get the following error/warning when I create an archive:
   (someone asked about this before, but I never saw an answer)

   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$tar cvf tmp.tar tmp/
   setgrent called, and it's not done yet.

   Is this a problem?  I haven't seen any negative effects, but...

b) Has anyone had problems with tar screwing up archives?  I 
   don't know if it was tar or gzip (or gunzip for that matter)
   but every now and then tar xvf fails, complaining that something
   is wrong with the archive. This has only happened to archives 
   that I have created, not on any that I have downloaded.  Is 
   there any chance that running several instances of tar (or gzip)
   in the background simultaneously could be confusing things?
   
c) I can't seem to get some of the switches for tar to work.  For
   example, -r (--append) and -u (--update) don't seem to work.
   Am I using them incorrectly, or are some of the switches not yet
   implemented?

d) How is the CR/LF thing handled with tar?  I have / mounted as
   text=binary, but I'd like to be able to use tar to archive some
   of my Win32 stuff (Excel spreadsheets, mostly).  I haven't run
   into any problems yet, but I'd like to be aware of any potential
   pitfalls.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

Byron
[email-masked]
-- 
Jon Byron Davis                                        617.629.4194
88 Concord Ave. #2                                  [email-masked]
Somerville, MA 02143                           [email-masked]

"We saw shadows of the morning light -- shadows of the evening sun"
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".