Subject: group passwd who last (three questions)
From: [email-masked] (Jon Byron Davis)

4 Feb 1998 14:55:59 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnuwin32 <[email-masked]>

I made mkgroup -l > /etc/group and mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd but 
some stuff seems wrong:

a) A lot of my files seem to belong to some fellow with UID 544.
   I don't have a user 544 on this system.  When I make a new file,
   the owner becomes Mr. 544, regardless of who I am when I first
   touch it.  Is this some UN*X thing that I just don't know about?  

b) I don't seem to have any groups, regardless of what I do in the 
   NT user manager:

   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$mkgroup -l
   None::513:
   Everyone::0:

c) who perpetually thinks that no one is logged in.  Again, maybe
   I'm not using this correctly.

   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who -q

   # users=0
   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who -q /var/run/utmp

   # users=0
   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who /var/log/wtmp
   [snip...more like running last]
   root@DOLORES bash-2.01$who -q /var/run/utmp
   [snip...like running last, but not formatted]
   # users=150

Thanks again, and sorry to clog yer mailboxes!

Byron
[email-masked]
-- 
Jon Byron Davis                                        617.629.4194
88 Concord Ave. #2                                  [email-masked]
Somerville, MA 02143                           [email-masked]

"We saw shadows of the morning light -- shadows of the evening sun"
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".