Subject: Re: bash-shell output
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Innes)

4 Feb 1998 09:18:46 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

On 04 Feb 1998 17:07:50 -0800, Nils Goesche <[email-masked]> said:
>You have to uncomment that fflush-line. But the usual shells
>like command.com or 4nt don't need that line. This is somewhat
>annoying. Can I at least force the shell somehow to flush
>input/output buffers? Some other programs are just unusable 
>because of this behavior.

This is a consequence of the design of Windows (well, that combined with
the behaviour of the Microsoft C runtime library).

Most DOS/Windows compilers make stdout unbuffered if isatty() returns
true, and isatty() in turn calls GetFileType on the OS file handle - if
the handle is a console handle, then isatty returns true.

Emacs has to redirect stdin and stdout/stderr for subprocesses through
pipes so it can communicate with them, but cannot hide the fact that
the handles are pipe handles.

AndrewI

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".