Subject: Problem with `window manager already running' X-windows error
From: [email-masked]

4 Feb 1998 02:44:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

Someone recently posted to this conference about starting up X-windows
and getting a `window manager already running' message when fvwm was
supposed to come up.

I think that is the result of optimism and not buying books on how to
run X-windows.  Somewhere in the /var/... directory of Linux is the
xinitrc file that is a bash script for starting X-windows when startx
is called.  I imagine that c:\var\.... is similarly burdened when X-
windows/cygwin runs under Windows 95/NT.  There is a very good chance
that the person who posted the problem actually _does_ have another
window manager running, and checking the xinitrc script will verify
this.  Editing the script to delete the other window manager in favor
of fvwm (or better, fvwm95-2) will remedy the problem.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".