Subject: Re: Alternate Mixed Case scheme?
From: Keith_Graham/[email-masked]

3 Feb 1998 18:29:07 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: "$Bill Luebkert" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

>I don't like the mount idea, I would prefer an env vrbl that would
>ignore case for file listing/opening but not for creating.  The
>underlying code could check the vrbl to see which matching to do
>(case sensitive or not).
As a note, the suggested modification doesn't change file opening (you can
still specify an uppercase name, and NT doesn't care) or file creating.  If
you open the file "WinNT", it will still be "WinNT" in the file system, but
"ls" would show "winnt".

The only thing it changes is directory listing, so that file completion,
wildcard matching, etc. always see lower case filenames.

This isn't perfect for everyone, but I don't think any solution would work
except perhaps to create an NT file system that supports mixed case.  :-)

The environment variable solution might work better, although it might
require changes to more source code (including other shells, etc.)  It also
doesn't deal with the issues about sorting files (i.e. ls) being case
sensitive, etc.

I suspect that both solutions would work, and it depends on how you use the
tools to decide which would be best for you.

Keith Graham
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".