Subject: Re: cygwin32-b18, coolview, mingw32...
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

3 Feb 1998 18:26:43 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Christopher Seawood <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On 02-Feb-1998, Christopher Seawood <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I went to the archives and read the threads on "text=binary" but I
> didn't see any sort of closure on the issue.  It seems as though a number
> of apps (http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru/) are using the coolview branch.
> Then I saw mingw32.  Several of us have questions that we hoped could be
> answered.
> 
> Are there any plans to backport to cygwin32 any of the changes made to
> coolview and mingw32?

From what I understand, coolview represents a snapshot of the ongoing
between-release changes to cygwin32.  So yes, most of the changes in coolview
will be included in the next release of cygwin32.  Since mingw32 is based
to some extent on cygwin32, they may also migrate to mingw32.
I believe there are plans to eventually incorporate mingw32 functionality
into cygwin32 with some command line switches to select between them.

> Does the text=binary issue affect non-cygwin32 apps?  Will I all of a
> sudden have problems with jdk, wordpad or Eudora because I changed my c:
> mount point to use text=binary?

If you don't use these apps to read or write files also used by cygwin32
apps, then you won't have any problems with them.  If you do use
non-cygwin32 apps on files also used by cygwin32 apps, then you
may well run into problems.  If you just read cygwin32 files with a
non-cygwin32 app, then often everything will be fine, but if you write
files with a non-cygwin32 and then read them with a cygwin32 app,
it most likely won't work.

> What is the registry entry to change text=binary instead of using a sh
> script?

Why?  Why not just use `mount'?

-- 
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".