Subject: FW: Heap chunk size registry entry WAS: Towards a more user-friendly cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Parker, Ron)

3 Feb 1998 10:43:23 -0800
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=Butler_Manufactu%l=BUILDINGS/BLDGSHUB/[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

This is the first of two message I sent on the subject back in 
November.

-----Original Message-----
From:	Parker, Ron
Sent:	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 4:52 PM
To:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	RE: Heap chunk size registry entry WAS: Towards a more 
user-friendly cygwin.dll

After perusing the CDK source code I was able to find and verify the 
appropriate key. It is located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus 
Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0. The value must be named 
heap_chunk_in_mb and must be a DWORD value. BTW 4MB is the minimum.

If you set the value below 4 and run a cygwin application it will be 
reset to the minimum value of 4. This was how I tested that I had the 
right key and value name.

-----Original Message-----
From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Monday, November 10, 1997 9:28 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Towards a more user-friendly cygwin.dll

One of the interesting design issues in the cygwin.dll system is the 
use
of a default `heap_chunk_size' that appears to be inadequate for most
situations.  After getting the Unix slrn news reader to compile with
cygwin gcc, and after changing the slrn.c file so as to use a more
cygwin-kind version of the `system(cmd_line)' command, there still 
appears
at the bottom of the screen a message notifying the user that the heap 
has
been `split'  and that this odious circumstance calls for a 
particularly
heroic endeavor on the part of the user; namely, the altering of a 
certain
`heap_chunk_size' variable in the Windows system registry.

Now, this isn't a problem to someone who knows what the registry 
editor
is, yet it transpires that cygwin is referenced in two places by this
Windows registry, and it is not at all clear exactly _where_ in 
relation
to, say, the cygwin.dll registry entry, the `heap_chunk_size' is to
appear.

Let us hope that future incarnations of cygwin will remember that 
32-bit
programming was supposed to free us all from the nuisance of finite 
and
bounded heaps.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".