Subject: Re: cygwin32-b18, coolview, mingw32... (NBY)
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

3 Feb 1998 05:52:51 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:27:05 -0800 (PST)
>From: Christopher Seawood <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: Christopher Seawood <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: cygwin32-b18, coolview, mingw32...
>
>
>I went to the archives and read the threads on "text=binary" but I
>didn't see any sort of closure on the issue.  It seems as though a 
number
>of apps (http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru/) are using the coolview branch.
>Then I saw mingw32.  Several of us have questions that we hoped could 
be
>answered.
>

I'm surprised you didn't find the answers to your questions in the 
archives.  I know they've been discussed before.

>Are there any plans to backport to cygwin32 any of the changes made to
>coolview and mingw32?

Coolview = yes.  Mingw32 = ?? (most likely no); however, it has been 
mentioned that Cygnus plans to provide building executables that don't 
require the cygwin.dll

>
>Are any of these versions compatible with any of the others? 
>(Actually, I know that cygwin32 & coolview are not).

I've read that plans are for the gcc output on Win32 to be compatible 
with MSVC.  Some of the packages in question are at different stages in 
that game.  Note that your playing with "beta" releases.

>
>Does the text=binary issue affect non-cygwin32 apps?  Will I all of a
>sudden have problems with jdk, wordpad or Eudora because I changed my 
c:
>mount point to use text=binary?

The only problems I've had are with NOTEPAD and the internal viewer of 
WINZIP.  Everything else read either \n or \r\n and writes \r\n.  
Mingw32 is a port of gcc to Win32 that doesn't use the cygwin.dll.  It 
has no registry key entries.  The programs built with it have no 
problems with \n or \r\n,  they simply read \r\n or \n and write \r\n, 
assuming the opens are left to default.

>
>What is the registry entry to change text=binary instead of using a sh
>script?

I always use the umount and mount commands, but I think they are under 
HKEY_USER.

>
>Regards,
>Christopher
>-----
>Software Engineer / Unix Sysadmin / Linux Advocate / Prince Fanatic
>http://people.qualcomm.com/cseawood/  
>My opinions are my own and not those of my employer.
>
>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".