Subject: Re: Alternate Mixed Case scheme?
From: [email-masked] (Guy Gascoigne - Piggford)

2 Feb 1998 14:50:05 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: <[email-masked]>

At 05:08 PM 1/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I see where someone posted some patches that appear to change bash's
>wildcard expansion to support mixed case.
>
>As an alternate solution, it appears that it wouldn't be very difficult to
>put a flag on mount, to make an entire drive be "lower case" only.  i.e.
>any directory read would see entirely lower case entries.  This is
>non-optimal for things like "README", but 99% of the time, I believe it
>would be the "correct" behavior.

But then my mixed case NT filenames would get knackered.  I like having
mixed case on NT, I just done't want the tools to read more significance
into the case of the letters than the OS does.

I don't want to type *.[Cc] every time just to make sure.  And before
anyone asks, this does happen, I get files from other peoples machines (who
don't use either UNIX or Cygwin) and can get back the wierdest file names,
when I send them the files back I want to give them exactly the same filename.

Guy

-- 
Guy Gascoigne - Piggford ([email-masked])
Software Engineer, Informix Software, Inc. (Portland, Oregon)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".