Subject: Device Drivers & cygwin32/mingw32
From: [email-masked] (Brendan Simon)

1 Feb 1998 17:13:56 -0800
Message-ID: <c=AU%a=_%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>

I wish to do some data logging with an off the shelf counter/timer card.
As far as I know there are no device drivers for Win95/NT available;
just a library
of functions for DOS using direct I/O access.

As far as I'm aware, Win95 tries to be a protected operating system and
doesn't
allow direct I/O access from an application.  Access must be via a
device driver.
I Linux can use direct I/O if you run as root.
Is this possible with Cygwin32 or MinGW32 ??

I guess writing a driver is the way to go ( I need to rewrite the code
to access
the card anyway as the libraries supplied do not do what I want ).

Can anybody give example code of I/O access in a driver format for
Cygwin or MinGW.
A simple skeleton program would more than suffice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------

A friend of mine is doing some graphing and data manipulation for the
above data
logging software.  He is using Borland Delphi and I obviously wish to
use one of
the GNU packages.

What is the best way to communicate between the two modules ??
Via DLL or device driver ??
Can a device driver be a DLL.

Thanks for any help.

Brendan Simon
[email-masked]  or  [email-masked]

PS. I'm new to Device Driver and DLL programming (if you couldn't tell)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".