Subject: Time and motion studies of gcc and egcs and LCC
From: [email-masked]

31 Jan 1998 21:53:09 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

Somewhere in January's posts, there was a discussion of relative compiler
speeds under Windows 95/NT.  I replied that the same compilers on the
same machine running Linux are 2-3 times faster.  It occurred to me
afterwards that the probable reason for this is linking to a DLL library
or libraries for time-critical code.  If you get a profiler program that
lets you know where gcc spends its time, I think you'll find that gcc is
spending that extra time thunking back and forth between cygwin.dll.

If gcc were completely statically linked, or if you statically linked the
subset of cygwin.dll that is causing the slowdown, I'll bet you that, not
only gcc, but also time-critical programs like bash.exe would suddenly
show speed performances comparable to Unix.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".