Subject: Re: What's the best (easiest) way to view man pages?
From: [email-masked] (Tim Fisher)

31 Jan 1998 18:51:09 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Peter Dalgaard BSA" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

Unfortunately, I've tried that. I did manage to compile groff, ncurses, and
less. However, less can only display one screenful before it dies. It
doesn't crash exactly, but it screws up the screen enough so that it becomes
a royal pain to deal with.

I was hoping there might be either a version of man that doesn't depend on
less, or maybe some other program I've never heard of that can read
man-format files (and display them properly). Since I've never actually seen
a version of man that didn't' use more/less, I'm not real optimistic on that
one. I have a feeling man will never work right until less works right.

Maybe less will run better under b18 of Cygwin. Until then, I've set up an
el-cheapo Linux box in the corner that I can telnet to so to read man pages,
heh.

--Tim Fisher

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".