Subject: Re: emacs-like editor
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Prewett)

31 Jan 1998 13:27:00 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

> Did you want an answer to this question? I prefer vi to all others myself.
> On most Unix systems some version of vi will be available when emacs is not.
> (GNU-based systems seem the opposite.) It makes sense to me. I can do simple
> things with fewer keypresses than in emacs. Emacs makes no sense to me at
> all. Too many modifier keys. You have to memorize long sequences of
> meaningless keystrokes to perform the simplest operations. Ugh. Give me vi.
> Most operations are only one keystroke away, and they're easy to remember,
> (more/less, man, and vi all use the same keys).

I completely agree!

> However, since I don't have vi available to me in NT, I use PFE instead.

There are several ports of VI to NT.  Microsoft included one with the NT 3.51
Resource Kit, although I hear that it takes some mucking around to get it to
work...  There appears to be a port at http://www.cyber.com/downloads/
but I haven't tested it.  I did find a port of VIM somewhere that I'm currently
using.

Cheers,
Geoff Prewett
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".