Subject: Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
From: [email-masked] (Isaac Kohn)

29 Jan 1998 04:33:44 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <Pine.SOL.3.95.980128150708.11882A-100000@gort>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Fabio Vignoli <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden <[email-masked]>,
        GNU-Win32 list <[email-masked]>,
        Colin Peters <[email-masked]>

> Just to joke:
> try in a MSDOS shell on windows NT : cd Program Files (it works) 
>                                      cd "Program Files" (it works)
>                                      dir Program Files (DOES NOT WORK!!!)
>                                      dir "Program Files" (it works)
> Does anybody can tell me why?

I assume the reason is that 'cd' never takes more than one arg, namely,
the directory to change to -- whereas dir can take many options and
switches and whatnot.  Because of this, cd knows that everything on the
command line is a directory name and it can allow this sort of thing --
whereas dir cannot allow this because it needs to look for other
arguments.

regards,
isaac

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".