Subject: Re: Case sensitive filenames
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

26 Jan 1998 07:39:32 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>From [email-masked] Thu Jan 22 20:19:25 1998
>Received: from mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU 
[128.250.37.154]) by mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU with ESMTP
>	id PAA22277; Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:18:15 +1100 (EST)
>Received: (from fjh@localhost) by mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (8.8.5/8.7.3) id 
PAA26790; Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:18:14 +1100 (EST)
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:18:14 +1100
>From: Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>
>To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>
>Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Case sensitive filenames
>References: <[email-masked]>
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>X-Mailer: Mutt 0.88
>In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>; from Earnie Boyd 
on Tue, Jan 20, 1998 at 05:55:38AM -0800
>
>On 20-Jan-1998, Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> Nathan Glasser <[email-masked]>:
>> >
>> >When I use ls, as in "ls *.txt", I won't see the upper case or
>> >mixed case examples, because the program is case sensitive. This is 
a 
>> >real pain,
>> 
>> It is only a pain to the non-UNIX person.  This is a product to help 
>> port UNIX programs from UNIX to WIN32.  UNIX is case sensitive and 
the 
>> filesystem commands have been left as case sensitive even though the 
>> supporting file system is case insensitive.
>
>But the filesystem commands haven't all been left as case sensitive!
>
>The current system is inconsistent, because *some* of the file system
>commands (e.g. cat foo.txt) are case insensitive, while others
>(e.g. cat *.txt) are case sensitive.
>
>> Again, this is not a pain for the UNIX programmer.
>
>Are you arguing that the way things are currently done is the best way
>that they could possibly be done?

One could never say that anything is "the best" for anyone except for 
the things one has developed for oneself.  What I argue is that things 
are livable.  Having to work on three different operating systems at one 
time is a real challenge.  Ever try using a UNIX environment, a VMS 
environment and a MSDOS/WIN32 environment all on the same CRT/KEYBOARD.

For you gnu-win32 cat try, cat *.[tT][xX][tT].  This is exactly what you 
would have to do on UNIX if you had mixed case file names.

>
>-- 
>Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the 
pursuit
>WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal 
habit"
>PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. 
Garp.
>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".