Subject: Re: gnu-win32
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

26 Jan 1998 06:27:30 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Ian,

There are two major differences between the UNIX filesystem and the 
MSDOS FAT filesystem that will drive you crazy.  First, the MSDOS 
filesystem is case insensitive when looking for the file name where UNIX 
is case sensitive.  These tools try to immulate UNIX with some degree of 
confusion.  Second, the directory separator in MSDOS is a \ while in 
UNIX it is a /.  The problem with this is that the \ in UNIX is an 
escape indicator and a / in MSDOS is a switch indicator to the DOS based 
programs.

To set DOS environment variables from the MSDOS shell you would type SET 
VARIABLE=VALUE.  I suggest that you set the PATH variable like this "SET 
PATH=c:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin;%PATH%".  The %PATH% resolves 
the current value of the PATH variable.  The path separator in MSDOS is 
a ;.  Now do "SET HOME=C:\" and "SET TMP=C:\TEMP.

Once you have the PATH, HOME and TMP variable set, you should be able to 
execute bash.

>From: "Ian Kerfoot" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Cc: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: gnu-win32
>Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:46:23 -0500
>
>I have been trying to install gnu-win32 on my computer which runs 
Windows
>95. The installation instructions say to set three environment 
variables
>and update the path. I have enterred several lines into my AUTOEXEC.BAT
>file, and it has accomplished nothing. The trouble is, I only know 
Unix,
>and the notation for setting environment variables in MS-DOS is a 
mystery
>to me. Could you possibly mail me a copy of your AUTOEXEC.BAT file, so 
I
>could see what the exact notation is supposed to be?
>
>   Ian Kerfoot
>

Hope this helps,

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".