Subject: My Brain Hurts a bit less
From: [email-masked] (Paul Harrold)

25 Jan 1998 15:03:17 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
To: Peter Dalgaard BSA <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

>
>Ok. Go and do some horrible deed upon the author of that book, then
>download rsxnt...
>
>(look for rsxnt14.zip with you favourite search engine)
>
>The matter is that the gnu-win32 and mingw32 projects are aimed at
>porting a set of tools from Unix to win32, not particularly at
>providing a comfortable development environment (except for the
>comfort of actually being able to port things and make them work). So
>it's kind of expected that you know a) what they're supposed to do and
>b) what to fix when they don't. To top it off, what you're seeing is
>an old beta release, bugs and all. So it's an eminently bad choice for
>a complete beginner.
>
>Another option might be to install Linux, and have a standard
>Unix-type OS to work with. Don't expect to be productive "in 24
>hours", though!
>

Peter,

Thanks for your reply, I really apreciated it. I did download rsxnt.zip
but it seems, from reading the help file, that I need other files as
well from the net and guess what? It got me all confused again! which
begs the following question, am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I
start by learning another less complicated language? If so, which one?

What I think I really need is a programming environment that is win95
based and has context sensitive help (preferably aimed at begginers,
like me) so that I can get on with learning to write code while the
software I am using to do so, guides me GENTLY through the process. Do
you know of a programme that does this? Is there a demo on the net?

Thanks again,

Regards,

P.S. can you download Linux OS from the net? (or have i got that all
wrong too? Bloody good isn't it, I though I was a bit good at computers
untill I decided to learn to programme, I'll do it if it kills me though
:-] )
-- 
Paul Harrold
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".