Subject: (Fwd) Re: [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolchain availab
From: [email-masked] (Paul Garceau)

24 Jan 1998 23:12:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Greetings everyone,

	Forgot to cc: this to the gnu-win32 mailing list...

------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
From:          Self <paul>
To:            Jan-Jaap van der Heijden <[email-masked]>
Subject:       Re: [ANNOUNCE] mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 based toolchain available.
Reply-to:      [email-masked]
Date:          Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:28:19 -0800

Hi everyone,

On 23 Jan 98 at 11:27, the Illustrious Jan-Jaap van der Heijden wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Paul Garceau wrote:
> 
> > On 18 Jan 98 at 20:49, the Illustrious Jan-Jaap van der Heijden wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > I upgraded the tools on my mingw32 page:
> > > 
> > >   http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html
> > 
> > 
> > 	Is there a US Mirror for this?  If there is, I am unaware of it.
> 
> That makes two of us :-)

 Oh, hooray!  It's already been confirmed that there is a need for such a
thing in the Western Hemisphere.  One thing for sure, it will sure make it
easier to download the mingw32 package if a site can be found And it will
mean saving a lot of download time for those who wish to download mingw32
without using a Unix shell with a special switch attached (100Mbs download
speed is very nice!).  It appears that one may actually be available at
this time and I will be checking it out.

> > 	I am assuming, at this point in time, that each of these things can be 
> > downloaded from the GNU site here in the US.  However, as I understand it, 
> > there would need to be further modifications completed after the 
> > downloading from the mit.edu site before the latest version of GCC would 
> > be useable as a functional part of mingw32.
> > 
> 
> All patches are with the rest on on the FTP server, same machine:
>   ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/home/janjaap/mingw32/
> 
> The tricky part in building GCC yourself is not getting the sources, but
> the fact that you need a unix system with a crosscompiler to build
> everything. And, I use snapshot binutils (gas) and those sources are not
> public.

 Cygwin32 can allow this.  The problem is, the more copies or variations
are generated, the less distinct the copy becomes...and not everyone has
the space or power to download and run Cygwin32 for such porting from Unix
machines.

 If anyone were to ask me, I would say that the reason outlined above is
probably the best reason to create a Western Hemisphere/North American
mirror site for mingw32.

> 
> > 	I am currently considering putting a US Mirror site together for 
> > Jan-Jaap, but am not sure if I've got the available disk space.  I do know 
> > that my ISP tends to support GNU development projects.  It is simply a 
> > question of need.
> > 
> 
> Current ftp disk usage:
> 6999    ./binaries
> 23      ./diffs/CDK
> 861     ./diffs/attic
> 956     ./diffs
> 4333    ./linux
> 7090    ./misc
> 316     ./platform-SDK/def
> 425     ./platform-SDK/import_libs
> 742     ./platform-SDK
> 
> Total: 20122 (plus a few Kb for the www pages)

 I am assuming you mean about 21M of disk space would be more than 
sufficient for mirroring the mingw32 files.  I will keep this in mind as I
check out things here in North America.

 Peace,

  Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".