Subject: RE: Why text=binary mounts
From: [email-masked] (Guy Gascoigne - Piggford)

20 Jan 1998 09:21:35 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Jeffrey C. Fried" <[email-masked]>,
        Richard Thomas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

At 11:55 PM 1/15/98 -0700, Jeffrey C. Fried wrote:
>That is, if we can agree that certain tools are always applied solely to
>text, then automatic conversion of the native EOL to the single '\n'
>character is the solution which will make these tools work in any
>environment.  If we don't agree, then we must always construct 'text' files
>according to the UNIX description of a text file when using the gnuwin32
>tools and so it is not easy to use tools of mixed origin on a non-UNIX
>system (for example emacs under NT will rewrite files with CRLF while bash
>will need these files in LF format).  I prefer to use the native format so
>that i don't have to remember which tools produce which results and when i
>have to convert between the two formats.

Good points, I agree with them completely.

Guy

-- 
Guy Gascoigne - Piggford ([email-masked])
Software Engineer, Informix Software, Inc. (Portland, Oregon)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".