Subject: Re: Login-related questions
From: [email-masked]

18 Jan 1998 16:24:27 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

>   Sergey Okhapkin ([email-masked])
>   Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:20:59 +0300
      
>Smith, Martin wrote:
>> When opening a (non-login) Bash shell, my .bashrc is read okay (after I
>> set HOME=/usr/home/martin in my environment via the NT control panel).
>> However, when I use a login shell, it seems not to read .bashrc (I no
>> longer have my colourized 'ls' for example). Why might this be?
>>
>
>Login.exe reads /ets/passwd and sets HOME env. var. according to. Did you sette
>d up your /etc/passwd correctly (in a unix way)?
>
Where exactly is login.exe placed in Windows 95 or Windows NT?

If you put a login.exe shortcut into the startup folder, then you can have
a Unix secure login in Windows 95.  However, if you skip the Windows 95
login in favor of the Unix login, then all your dialup adaptor passwords
disappear from one session to the next.  Windows 95 is set up so that you
have to use login to save dialup passwords.

Is there a way around this?  Can Unix login.exe be substituted for Windows
login without losing other passwords?

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".