Subject: Re: Login-related questions
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

17 Jan 1998 12:45:33 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

You need to read the bash.info file.  bash -login will not read the 
..bashrc file.  You will need to add to the /etc/profile "source 
~/.bashrc".  This will execute the .bashrc file of the directory pointed 
to by HOME.

>From: "Smith, Martin" <[email-masked]>
>To: "'gnu-win32'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Login-related questions
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 07:42:00 GMT
>
>I have just succeeded in getting login to work (after following the   
>recommendations I dug out from the archive of this list - thanks).   
>However, I have a few questions still....
>
>When opening a (non-login) Bash shell, my .bashrc is read okay (after I   
>set HOME=/usr/home/martin in my environment via the NT control panel).   
>However, when I use a login shell, it seems not to read .bashrc (I no   
>longer have my colourized 'ls' for example). Why might this be?
>
>On a related note, is this the only way to get .bashrc to be read   
>(setting it in the user environment). I would have thought it would 
pick   
>this up from the 'home' field of /etc/passwd ? Alternatively, why does 
it   
>not work if I create an NT shortcut and specify the "start in" 
directory   
>as my home directory ?
>
>Can I create an NT user and log in to Bash shell as that user even 
though   
>I am logged into NT as myself? If I can get round the issues with HOME   
>and .bashrc this seems like a good way to set up 2 environments - one 
for   
>gnuwin32 and one for egcs for example. Has anyone tried this?
>
>Finally (for now), what are the advantages of using a login shell 
rather   
>than straight bash shell? I seem to recall that it allows it to read   
>/etc/profile. Are there other advantages? Can I only login via a 
desktop   
>shortcut or can it be integrated with the normal NT login mechanism in   
>any way? Oh, and is there any way to open an rxvt without it spawning a   
>command window as well?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>			Martin  
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".