Subject: Re: Why text=binary mounts (Re: Gnu-win32 (b18), coolview and NTEmacs)
From: [email-masked] (Benjamin Riefenstahl)

17 Jan 1998 12:38:03 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <_Jeffrey_C._Fried_'s_message_of__Wed,_07_Jan_1998_21:45:26_-0700_>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Scott Blachowicz wrote:
> > >Maybe the reading operations could track what kind of
> > >line termination is being used on a file, then succeeding write operations
> > >could use the same style (unless overridden by the open() flags)?  That
> > >sounds weird...and probably unworkable...just food for thought.

That would be nice, but not necessary for my purposes. I would be
content if all tools that do text would understand all ASCII text file
input. If that was garanteed for all tools than their output format
could be an arbitrary choice (any one of Unix, DOS, Mac).

OTOH given that I do not have source for some of my tools (esp the OS
supplied), I prefer the output in the native format i.e. DOS. Actually,
thinking about it, I'd say that I would even prefer output in DOS format
over preserving the old format.
======================================
Benjamin Riefenstahl ([email-masked])
Crocodial Communications EntwicklungsGmbH
Ophagen 16a, D-20257 Hamburg, Germany
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".