Subject: RE: Login-related questions
From: [email-masked] (Smith, Martin)

16 Jan 1998 21:30:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: "Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

Thank you - this works fine (I'd better go and look at setting up info or   
man next :-). Seems my HOME and /etc/passwd were set up okay before and   
it was just this that needed to change. Thanks also to the others who   
answered my quesion !

I am still curious about the various advantages of logging in to a Bash   
shell on my NT desktop though.

Regards,
	Martin

 -----Original Message-----
You need to read the bash.info file.  bash -login will not read the
..bashrc file.  You will need to add to the /etc/profile "source
~/.bashrc".  This will execute the .bashrc file of the directory pointed
to by HOME.

>From: "Smith, Martin" <[email-masked]>
>To: "'gnu-win32'" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Login-related questions
>Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 07:42:00 GMT
>
>I have just succeeded in getting login to work (after following the
>recommendations I dug out from the archive of this list - thanks).
>However, I have a few questions still....
>
>When opening a (non-login) Bash shell, my .bashrc is read okay (after I   

>set HOME=/usr/home/martin in my environment via the NT control panel).   

>However, when I use a login shell, it seems not to read .bashrc (I no
>longer have my colourized 'ls' for example). Why might this be?
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".