Subject: Re: Cygwin32 & C++ standard
From: [email-masked]

13 Jan 1998 17:58:26 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: Mumit Khan <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: "Fernandes, Hilton" <[email-masked]>

On 31 Dec 97 at 18:55,  Mumit Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Depends on what you mean by cygwin32 C++. If you mean the original 
> b18 distribution, it's horribly old, so all bets are off if you're
> looking at the latest draft that was approved as the standard. On
> the other hand, the egcs distribution is pretty close, and in fact,
> close enough to (almost) compete with some top quality commercial 
> compilers such as Kai and others based on the EDG front end.
> 
> Also note that G++ now uses unmodified SGI STL distribution, which
> means that as SGI updates its implementation to match the standard,
> G++ will follow automatically.
>

I'd like to thank all GNU and egcs developers -- particularly Mumit
Khan -- for the  nice job they're doing.  For a GNU price, one is 
able to have an excellent compiler, better than hugely priced 
commercial ones.

Amazing and laudable.

Now that the C++ drafts seem to have stabilized and such a nice
compiler is available we C++ programmers can begin to try to tame
the new C++ beast. 

Thanks for the nice Christmas gift! 

Regards,
++Hilton
-------------------
Hilton Fernandes
email: [email-masked]
www:   http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hilton.html (inactive)
M. Sc. Student of Parallel Distributed Applications
at Escola Politecnica (Polytechic School)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".