Subject: Re: Why text=binary mounts (Re: Gnu-win32 (b18), coolview and NTEmacs)
From: [email-masked] (Scott Blachowicz)

13 Jan 1998 16:23:46 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <_Jeffrey_C._Fried_'s_message_of__Wed,_07_Jan_1998_21:45:26_-0700_>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

> >Maybe the reading operations could track what kind of
> >line termination is being used on a file, then succeeding write operations
> >could use the same style (unless overridden by the open() flags)?  That
> >sounds weird...and probably unworkable...just food for thought.
> 
> Not necessarily.  Various programs do this, including vim and, I think, NTEmacs.

Yes, NTEmacs does, but I was trying to think of the difficulties involved
in doing a filter program.  It'd be nice if the line termination for the
output file could somehow match its input file....so either the filter
program would have to use the right fopen() flags to designate the right
kind of text output file or the fopen() could intuit the right value by
looking at recent open()/read()'s...that's what I meant by
"weird"/"unworkable".
-- 
Scott Blachowicz                <[email-masked]>

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".