Subject: Re: performance of cygwin32
From: [email-masked] (Ed Peschko)

12 Jan 1998 01:27:34 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Ed Peschko)
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)
Cc: [email-masked]

> 
> Ed Peschko wrote:
> > 
> > Win32 is slow, but network drives are *glacial*, at least with cygwin32
> > tools. I've installed the coolview update (when will it be incorporated
> > into the 'vanilla' cygwin32 tools anyways?) and it is going a bit faster.
> 
> The "coolview" sources represent a state of the actual Cygnus development
> tree as of whenever that was made.  It's made more progress since then;
> right now I'm battling race conditions in the signal code...
> 
> Right now I can do a complete configure of the compiler tools (including
> tcl/tk) in about 20 minutes and build them in an hour 15 min. which is a 
> huge improvement performance-wise.  But signal handling isn't quite as
> robust as it needs to be...

Well, something must be seriously wrong with my configuration, because I was
seeing performance times of about 6-7 hours to do the same. 

1 hour 15 mins is what I call slightly slow. 6-7 hours is what I call glacial.
I'd hit 'ls' and it would take about a minute to respond....

I could live with an hour to build all the tools, believe me. Its just the 
going to dinner, then taking a nap, then playing two games of pool, and finally
coming back to the keyboard to see that the tools are *still* compiling 
which is getting annoying.

Ed
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".