Subject: newbie questions, uid's, terminals, etc
From: [email-masked]

11 Jan 1998 14:13:31 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi all. I just downloaded gnu-win32, ssh-1.2.20, and the
ssh patches that were posted some time ago. I have ssh running
under Win95 :) which is pretty cool, but I have a few questions.

How does one deal with UID's when a UNIX program is concerned about
whether you're root? It seems the UID is always 500, and there's
no "su". I thought I saw reference to a su program somewhere, but I
can't find it now. Under Win95 wouldn't it make more sense to always
be UID 0? I didn't think Win95 understood "users", so everyone is
effectively root? Ssh has a UID_ROOT compile flag, so I guess for now 
I'll try setting it to 500.

The terminal acts a bit funny under Win95. When I log in to another
machine with ssh, it can't clear the screen. Both machines are set
to TERM=linux. Everything else works fine, but there's always a bit
of "garbage" on the screen, since the screen erase isn't working.

Also concerning the terminal, when I first log in with ssh, it seems to
pause waiting for some keyboard input (which isn't the normal behavior),
and sometimes starts spitting out "invalid escape" errors until I hit
cntl-c.

When I applied the patch to ssh, about half the patches were
installed correctly, and then it failed with a "hunk assertion failed",
or some such thing. I applied the last few patches by hand. I saw some
reference in the mailing list about sources being unpacked in text
rather than binary mode, or something like that, but I couldn't sort
out what it meant.

Finally, these seems to be something very weird about the way gnu-win32
treats mixed-case filenames compared to the way linux treats them. If
I untar'ed ssh from linux, with the windows partition mounted as vfat,
the file names look like "foo.c" from linux, like "Foo.c" from windows
explorer, like "FOO.C" from DOS, and like "foo.c" from gnu-win32,
HOWEVER in gnu-win32 a "ls foo*" does NOT list "foo.c", while a
"ls foo.c" does list it as "foo.c". Very odd. This broke make until I
untarred it from gnu-win32 (make would try to make foo.o by looking
for foo.* and wouldn't find any source file).

thanks
b.c.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".