Subject: gcc mem access errors + Qdeck Cleansweep
From: [email-masked] (lynd.bacon)

10 Jan 1998 22:14:11 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

Just installed the b18 cdk on NT 4.0 WS SP 3.0.  When I tried to execute
gcc, I got an error msg box indicating a memory access error.

Turns out there is some conflict w/ dll's that are part of Quarterdeck's
Cleansweep 3.0.x.  Cleansweep installs the following dll's in the
../system32 directory:

apitrap.dll
psapi.dll
webupdte.dll

If I rename or move these and then reboot, gcc no longer produces the
error. Don't know if cygwin.dll per se is involved.  Haven't had the same
problem under Win95.

Can't take all the credit for figuring this out, BTW.  A while back I was
installing some SPSS Inc software, and their tech folks indicated that the
version of InstallShield they were using, produced the same error.

-lynd bacon

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| LYND BACON & ASSOCIATES, LTD.       http://www.lba.com |
| marketing and management science    [email-masked]  |
| Homewood IL USA                     +1.708.957.0883    |
|                ---------------------                   |             
| Find out about the Chicago ASA monthly speaker series  |
|         at http://www.lba.com/asa-lunch.html           |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".