Subject: NT4.0, precompiled b18 CDK -- gas fails to load itbl file
From: [email-masked] (John Morrison)

10 Jan 1998 13:35:10 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hello All,

I am sorry to trouble you all, but I was unable to find anything about
this problem in the FAQ or in the mailing list archives.  Please reply
to me, as I am not on this mailing list.

I'm running the precompiled b18 CDK under WindowsNT 4.0.  I am trying to
write a bootsector loader (hence the asm question) -- in particular I
need to call BIOS routines via different software interrupts.

(1) It seemed that the precompiled gas support was limited to "int3" and
"into."  Thus, ...

(2) I tried to extend the instruction set using the --itbl switch.  gas
fails as follows (not only my itbl file, but the one delivered as part
of the source distribution).

	agrippa:/d/GNU/cdk/gas/testsuite/gas/all> as --itbl itbl
	Failed to read instruction table itbl
	agrippa:/d/GNU/cdk/gas/testsuite/gas/all>

(3) I cannot elicit any other message, even using non-existent
filenames, DOS abs paths, bash unix-fied abs paths, etc.  Seems that it
can't find any damned file at all.

(4) All other CDK tools seem to work fine.  Any suggestions?

(5) Finally, should I be using gas, or some other tool (for the boot
sector loader I'm currently working on, and the real-mode to
protected-mode and kernel startup/driver routines I'll have to write
later)?  NASM?  Visual C++ Developer's Studio (ugh -- "Dumb Studio" to
the blooded and bloodied) no longer seems to ship an assembler, or I
wouldn't be screwing about like I am.

Thanks,

-- 
==== John Morrison ==== [email-masked] == http://www.mak.com/welcome.html
==== MaK Technologies Inc., 185 Alewife Brook Parkway, Cambridge, MA
02138
==== vox:617-876-8085 x115
==== fax:617-876-9208
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".