Subject: Not quite perfect Unix compatibility (bug report)
From: [email-masked]

10 Jan 1998 05:42:00 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

This bug report originated in a hack:

I moved linux-2.1.xxx.tar.gz to my Windows partition, ran `tar xzvf' on
it, and attempted to configure the Linux kernel under cygwin.

Typing
	bash$ make menuconfig
only works at the bash$ prompt, and then only if you have ncurses, which
I don't.  It gives some kind of a binary file error message if you do
	DOS> make -f Makefile menuconfig

Typing
	bash$ make config
starts up the configuration process, but here is the bug.  The first
question in the configure script has a `[Y/N/?]' prompt, and typing
`N', `Y', or `?' all gives the same response, which isn't supposed
to happen, and which doesn't let you complete the shell script.

BTW, I know cygnus isn't in the Linux business, but it might just be
possible to compile a working zImage under cygwin, with few or no
changes in the cygwin system.  After all, the kernel doesn't use
cygwin.dll to run.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".