Subject: Re: combining mingw32 + cygwin32
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

8 Jan 1998 13:16:32 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>This directory hierarchy is also a useless appendage.  It's much simpler
>to set up a Unix file system on your C: drive, and do away with all that
>H-i386-cygwin32 excrement.  This is a Unix environment, and all the GNU
>utilities expect Unix directories.  So, why use the b18 directory structure,
>that corresponds to nothing in the real world?

I agree with this sentiment.  All of the *-i386-* stuff really complicates
things; especially if you are routinely switching between UNIX and NT.
Also, given the necessary amount of translation required for each component
of a path specification in cygwin32, every use of a subdirectory adds
an incremental time cost.

That's why I have my NT system set up to use /bin, /etc, /usr/bin,
/usr/local/bin, etc.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".