Subject: problems with native perl 5.004_04 under cygwin32
From: [email-masked] (Erwin Achermann)

8 Jan 1998 05:37:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Patrik Wennberg - NCR <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Hi all,

with all good hints i still am not able to do a proper installation.
First of all the Configure (230'715) is not extracted by WinZip, I
constantly get configure (2403) under the name of Configure. This is not
a big deal (once you realize it) use tar. (Chris, the nice thing of
Winzip is that it nicley coopeartes with netscape.... :) )

Then after applying the Chris' patch i get two rejected hunks....
/perl/src/perl5.004_04-mpe 32>find . -name '*rej' -print
After looking at it more closely i found that my downloaded package is
an adaption to mpe (gowd knows what that stands for..)
Oh well, i got the wrong package---   THE LARCH!

***Restart from sratch

I downloaded it (again) latest.tar.gz from
http://language.perl.com/info/software.html
unpacked (using gz tar)
applied patch -- no *rej this time.
sh Configure
*** WHOA THERE *** it runs ... but still every enter is interpreted
twice (but now i can enter the system cygwin32nt, [i AM on NT])

It runs trough and trough from time to time I get an error about
MSWSOCK.rcmd not locatable in wsock32.dll or such. (now it seems, after
lengthy compilations of test programs, it forgets the <never entered>
second enter. On short questions eg., about types it still accepts every
other default) 

finally i reach makedepend.... 
and this produces again the error panel:
"The procedure entry point MSWSOCK.rcmd could not be located in the
dynamic link library wsock32.dll" <ok>"

and the process dies saying:

/perl/src/perl5.004_04 45>sh ./makedepend MAKE=make
sh writemain lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a  > tmp
sh mv-if-diff tmp perlmain.c
File perlmain.c not changed.
echo malloc.c av.c scope.c op.c doop.c doio.c dump.c hv.c mg.c perl.c
perly.c pp
..c pp_hot.c pp_ctl.c pp_sys.c regcomp.c regexec.c gv.c sv.c taint.c
toke.c util.
c deb.c run.c universal.c globals.c perlio.c miniperlmain.c perlmain.c |
tr ' '
'\012' >.clist
Finding dependencies for malloc.o.
Finding dependencies for av.o.
Finding dependencies for scope.o.
fork_helper: child died before initialization with win32 error 128
../makedepend: fork: No more processes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So quite hopelessly I start the make-process, which comes as far as 

        Making DynaLoader (static)
Writing Makefile for DynaLoader
mkdir ../../lib/auto/DynaLoader
cp DynaLoader.pm ../../lib/DynaLoader.pm
AutoSplitting DynaLoader (../../lib/auto/DynaLoader)
cp dl_cygwin32.xs DynaLoader.xs
.../../miniperl -I../../lib -I../../lib ../../lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp
-noprototypes -typemap ../../lib/ExtUtils/typemap DynaLoader.xs >
xstmp.c && mv xstmp.c DynaLoader.c
/perl/src/perl5.004_04/cygwin32/gcc2 -c  -I/usr/local/include -O   
-DVERSION=\"1.03\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.03\"  -I../.. -DPERL_CORE -DLIBC=""
DynaLoader.c
rm -rf ../../lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
ar cr ../../lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a DynaLoader.o && :
.../../lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
chmod 755 ../../lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
/perl/src/perl5.004_04/cygwin32/gcc2  -L/usr/local/lib -buildperl  -o
perl perlmain.o lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a  libperl.a `cat
ext.libs` -lcygwin -lm -lkernel32
/perl/src/perl5.004_04/cygwin32/gcc2: miniperl: command not found
make: *** [perl] Error 127

The funy thing here is, that miniperl seemed to be there just some lines
ago...

I'm really wondering about that forking problem. Have other people come
accross them?
And what could be the reason for these strange additional never entered
enters?

Thanks for any support.

Cheers Erwin 
-- 
Erwin Achermann                               Tel:      ++41 1 632 74 40
Institut fuer Wissenschaftliches Rechnen      Fax:      ++41 1 632 11 72
ETH Zentrum, IFW C29.2                      email: [email-masked]
CH-8092 Zuerich	          url: http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/acherman/
>  Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, <
>  but when there is no longer anything to take away.                  <
>                                          -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery <
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".