Subject: Re: Why text=binary mounts (Re: Gnu-win32 (b18), coolview and NTEmacs)
From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey C. Fried)

8 Jan 1998 02:31:46 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Porting code from Unix to the PC should NOT require the same line
termination mode since most Unix code which reads text uses fread/getc
which automatically handle the end-of-line.  And from the replies of most
people i would argue that most of us would prefer to work in the native
mode of the operating system in which we are running rather than having to
constantly convert files between the two models simply because we use tools
from both operating systems under NT/95.  For examples of this
compatibility look at many of the GNU tools which handle text, the file
handling will work under both operating systems without any change because
they use text mode I/O which is platform independent once all files have
been converted to the form of the native OS.

.... jeff

At 05:28 AM 1/7/98 PST, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>From: Scott Blachowicz <[email-masked]>
>>Date: 06 Jan 1998 11:25:43 -0800
>>
>[snip]
>>So, why IS it that the coolview code requires text=binary mode mounts
>>anyways?
>
>Let me remind you that the purpose of the cygnus gnu-win32 project is to 
>port UNIX code.  Most of the UNIX world programs choke on the \r\n 
>combination.  Therefore text=binary is the easiest solution.
>
>>-- 
>>Scott Blachowicz                <[email-masked]>
>
>
>-        \\||//
>---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
>[email-masked]
>------ooo0O--O0ooo-------
>
>Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
>ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
>http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
>http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
>http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
>http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
>http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
>ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
>http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
>http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
>http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                         (Chuck Bogorad)
>ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub                       (Den Internet Services)
>
>
>______________________________________________________
>Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>
>
--
Jeffrey C. Fried      [email-masked]

   Because a liar tells the truth does not mean the truth is a lie.

NOTICE: I charge $500.00 for each unsolicited advertisement i receive as email
to cover the cost of my time to review and possibly respond to your
advertisement.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".