Subject: sshd
From: [email-masked] (Derek Young)

7 Jan 1998 21:24:51 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

After some struggle, I was able to get ssh and sshd working.  I took the
patches from Patrick J. Fay
(http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~pfay/teraflop/buildssh.txt) and applied them
directly to the ssh sources.  I could not get the version from
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru/ to work.  As Patrick pointed out, it's
always a good idea to compile security software on you own anyways.  I
could not build the software under the windows NT command prompt, but
when building under bash, it worked fine.

When running sshd, I was getting the error message "bad modes for:
/homedirectory".  I guess I didn't have the permissions set right on my
home directory.  To fix this I turned StrictModes off in the
/etc/sshd_conf file.

ssh was reporting that it had no DISPLAY or tty.  This was caused by
CYGWIN_TTY no being set.  Setting it to 1 on the client and server side
fixed that.  You do not need DISPLAY set to use the software.

The version from http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru/ did not seem to pass the
stdout of the client application back to ssh.  After I recompiled it
myself, this problem went away.

My final problem was that for some reason programs run through ssh were
not able to read from stdin.  for instance "echo hello | ssh host cat"
would report "bad file number" on stdin.  I changed the source of sshd
to use "/winnt/system32/cmd.exe /c command" instead of "/bin/sh -c
command" and this problem cleared up.  A little more investigation into
this may have cleared it up without this hack, but it works OK for me
now.

I have now been using ssh and sshd with CVS and it works great!  Just
set CVSROOT to :ext:user@machine:/yourcvsroot and CVS_RSH to ssh and it
works without any more changes.  This was my goal for using ssh in the
first place.

Thanks again to Patrick for his help.

-- derek

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".