Subject: Re: [VGUI] RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
From: [email-masked]

30 Dec 1997 07:47:38 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: "Gnu-Win32 Mailing List"<[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked], [email-masked]

"Fernandes, Hilton" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 26 Dec 97 at 12:22,  Brendan Simon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.
> 
> From what i could see, in that times (circa 1996) several people
> were having problems with V's window implementation.  I'm not saying 
> that V didn't compile, but people related that in some cases V didn't 
> work correctly under Windows.

I've had better luck with V under Windows than V under RedHat 5.0 for some 
odd reason (some of the built-in X dialogs, for instance, file selection, 
misbehave).

The biggest drawback to V is that the widgets available are currently limited 
(no multi-select comboboxes, no trees, and some limitations on creating lists 
on the fly, IIRC), but for simpler programs, it's an excellent framework to 
work with.

> I thought that was still the case when i read V's page: they say
> that Windows support is still missing.  
> 
> Maybe that was just a misunderstood, but i'd like to ask your opinion 
> about it.

As of V 1.15 and 1.16, it works with both Win16 and Win32, at least with MS 
Visual C++ (1.52 and 5.0, respectively), and I have compiled a program I 
wrote with both (and, for that matter, Linux/X11).  V is slightly persnickety 
on data alignment and pointer sizes in Win32, but the distribution comes with 
project files for MSVC and Makefiles for Borland C++ (I don't know which 
versions).

There have been consistent and reported problems mixing V with the Cygnus 
windows stuff, though.  I don't have details, since I haven't tried it 
myself.

--
Mike Phillips, [email-masked]
Home Page: http://www.widomaker.com/~msphil/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".